Saturday, April 18, 2015

A holistic approach to education

I listened to Dr K V Acharya Sir when I was 16 year old. Those words still reverberate in my ears. He is one of the persons who has sub-consciously shaped my personality and the reason I spend time on national awakening activities.

Sir, also introduced me to Bharatiya Shikshan Mandali - An organisation that works towards ensuring education be a holistic personality development of students in context of national resurgence.  As Value based education is my prime area of interest, I attended several meetings and discussions as part of BSM. Since couple of years or so, I even became a life member in the organisation assuming higher role as well are responsibilities. Early in 2014, we organised a national conference on "Education- A National Mission" to mark 150th Birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda. Since then, I personally have thought about it  from different perspectives. Such a meaningful title it is. Yes, education is a national mission. It continues to be.



BSM has been working on an integrated and holistic education policy for our country and an initial draft has been prepared. Mukul Kanitkar ji had come to Bangalore in Febuary this year in order to give a presentation on same. I have been given a task of taking this message to people in our region and gather consensus and feedback. In coming months, I would be doing the same. Hope that one day our education policy ditches Macauleian thought and moves towards a more holistic approach makes us responsible sons and daughters of our nation. :)

No comments: